Wednesday 1 September 2021

Why achieving gender equality at music festivals means looking beyond the main stage - Revisited


Todays piece from the Medium archive was a follow up to a piece I wrote for The F-Word in 2017 about the lack of female headliners at festivals. I hadn't planned on re-visiting the issue but, as regular readers will know, the rage I felt at the really weak, patronising arguments being put forward by the live music industry as to why they weren't booking women to play festivals went deep.

In this piece, I turned my attention away from festival headliners and focused instead on the ratio of male:female artists across a number of festival bills in the summer of 2019. 

It's a long piece, with a lot of data in it, but I think it was worth it. It didn't perform well on Medium at the time but it has, since, been regularly viewed and read - both pre pandemic and during the pandemic - which suggests the issue is very much a live one. 

Photo by Aranxa Esteve on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment