Tuesday 31 August 2021

Cinema's women and music problem - Revisited


I think what, ultimately, inspired me to write a piece about how cinema has, over the years, depicted women musicians in fictional narratives was the number of films I watched as part of my research into women and punk. 

There are some good ones, both from the punk era and beyond, but there's also some absolute shockers and - ultimately - I have yet to encounter one that feels both accurate and positive enough to serve as a celluloid inspiration for would be female musicians. 

What followed were a series of slightly untidy musings on the topic, which became this piece. I've never been entirely happy with the resulting piece, although I know it was the best I could make it at the time. It hasn't had a lot of love so if you do fancy taking a look at it, I'd be very happy. 

Photo by Jeremy Yap on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment