Sunday 12 September 2021

Florence + The Punk Women - Revisited


The catalyst for this most unusual of pieces (for me, anyway) was British Summer Time festival 2019, when I travelled to London to see Florence + The Machine headline a festival with a 70% female lineup, and at which Florence's book club - Between Two Books - met and discussed Lavinia Greenlaw's memoir The Importance of Music To Girls

I don't really go in for personal essays but I had returned home with a sense that my two once very separate musical worlds (UK punk of the 1970s and early 1980s and Florence + The Machine) had collided well and truly at this event.

It was my inability to describe this feeling when I tried to speak about it to Between Two Books co-founder Leah Moloney at the event that inspired me to write this piece which, as I recall, was more of a hit with the Flows than it was with the punks, though I did receive some really nice feedback from both sides. 

Photo by Urel Landetne on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment