Monday 12 February 2018

Punk women, as promised...

As promised, I have organised ('curate' is such an overused word... and it seems a little ambitious sounding for what I'm doing in this case) a series of punk women clips from YouTube for your delight and delectation.

Because I missed punk entirely (by virtue of not being born until 1979) I will be posting clips in a personal chronological sequence rather than an actual chronological sequence. Ie, the artists are arranged in the approximate order in which I encountered them and their music, not by order of when the various performances or recordings happened.

I was going to do 'Eighteen songs for 2018' but by the time I'd hit twenty clips I was thinking 'Why stop at 18?' so there's more than that now. About 25 I think.

I've also cast my net beyond the UK and have strayed from the 1975-1978 period. As such, there are French, Swiss, Canadian and US artists coming up as well as artists who would be considered post punk rather than punk. I've tried to ensure that you get a mix of famous and not so famous punk artists as well because I think it's really important not to be lazy when compiling these kind of audio visual lists and, if I can do, introduce you to people you might not have come across before.

As well as giving my inspiration a boost and reminding me why it was I embarked on this whole punk women odyssey in the first place, I think it's necessary to sound a klaxon for women and punk every few years, just to ensure they aren't forgotten about... again...

No comments:

Post a Comment