Friday 8 May 2020

Halsey & Kelsea Ballerini Perform 'Miss Me More' | CMT Crossroads



There's a couple of funny stories and coincidences that led me to choosing this video for you today.

To begin with, this is a song we used to have a whole routine worked out to at my weekly adult jazz dance class. I have continued my dance classes over Zoom during lockdown but the adult jazz class is on hold at the moment, and I miss it.

Secondly, I was going to use the video to 'Miss me more' only I realised as I was about to that, as with Halsey and Lauren Jauregui's 'Strangers', it's a video revolving around the actions of two women in a boxing ring. And that can get a bit samey after a bit.

Kelsey Ballerina is on record as being very influenced by Shania Twain, and you can really hear that in this song, and see it in the campness of the performance. The audience reaction to it is reminiscent of a million hen parties going ballistic to 'Man, I Feel Like A Woman', and it's exhilarating to watch, but there's a serious note to the song that goes beyond the two fingered salute and gleeful liberation: There's hints that our heroine was leaving a very toxic relationship in which her partner systematically remodelled her personality and, as such, there is a darkness at the heart of the catchy riffs and full on glee: She got out. Not everyone does.




No comments:

Post a Comment