Monday 30 December 2019

Songs of the year, number 2: Florence + The Machine - Moderation



Some of my regular readers among the Flows and the Florence + The Machine Army may be slightly disappointed that I haven't given 'Moderation' the number 1 position, or that I haven't included either 'Haunted House' or 'Jenny of Oldstones' in this years list.

When I compile my end of year list, I have a series of rules. Number one of my rules is that I will only include one song per artist in my songs of the year list. Hence, in the case of Florence, I needed to choose between three equally bewitching songs and, ultimately, decide which of the three I felt was the most jaw dropping. 'Moderation', which sees Ms Welch firmly in soul girl territory, won it. I won't say too much about this song, as I wrote a whole blog post about it when it was released in early 2019 but, needless to say, it is a truly astonishing piece of work.

As for why it's not number one, all I can say is that this years end of year songs list has been very tight indeed and that the top three in particular could, in another light, be regarded as being of equal parity. I hope that makes you all feel better about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment