Saturday 13 October 2018

Kenickie - Hooray for Everything (Stay In The Sun)



I have been trying, and failing, for about a week now to write a piece about Kenickie. I think the reason that I've been failing is because I'm conscious that that I pretty much said everything I needed to say about the band at the time, and I've realised that I don't actually have anything new to add to that.

2019 marks the 20th anniversary of the band's split. As is widely known, Marie Du Santiago and Emmy-Kate Montrose formed Rosita shortly afterwards, releasing a couple of singles before splitting up. Years later Marie would turn up in Sunderland folkies the Cornshed Sisters.

Johnny X, meanwhile, was in Frankie and the Heartstrings and is now a famous producer. Lauren Laverne, it need hardly be mentioned, is a very successful radio DJ, presenter and founder of The Pool.

But back in 1999 they were still Kenickie and they released what was to be their final single, the Saint Etienne esque 'Stay in the sun'. It was OK but it was overshadowed somewhat by the catchy indie pop of it's B-Side, 'Hooray for Everything'.

With it's arresting opening couplet ("You thought that I was only glitter, but that doesn't make me bitter. See  I've been in the dark, and I still shine") it unwittingly marked itself out as the ultimate kiss off from a band about to split up. It has everything in it that was great about Kenickie: Catchy tune, knowing lyrics, sparkle, good riffs and oodles of charm.

I have been trying to find some hidden wisdom about the band through re-listening to and writing about their B-Sides. They did release some good ones: 'Girls Best Friend', 'Brighter Shade of Blue', 'Cowboy', but I found that 'Hooray For Everything' was really the best one. It summed up the whole Kenickie package so nicely that, in the end, there was nothing else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment