Friday 23 July 2021

Celina Sharma - We Are One (Official Bharat Army Cricket Anthem) ft. Bha...


Given that the Olympics starts today and we're not that far away from the joy followed by horrific racist fallout that was Euro 2020, it seems weirdly apt to introduce you to Celina Sharma's cricket anthem from 2019. Yes, you heard me: Cricket anthem. Not since Ini Kamoze decided to pen a song to spur on the Jamaican football team (which google, alas, appears to have no record of) have I been so enamoured of a song about a sport, and team, that I would generally have little to no interest in. But if sport songs do anything well it's to inspire a sense of oneness and community, to which end Celina Sharma and 'We Are One' succeed beautifully. I think I first encountered it on the Asian Network, no doubt at the height of the international cricket season in 2019, but it has transcended that moment and works just as well two years on as it did then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment