Saturday 28 January 2023

Jake Yapp has unwound


Yesterday was the final episode of the 20 long run of Jake Yapp's Unwinding on Radio 4Extra and, I have to say, I will miss it grievously. 

Since the beginning of January it has become part of my evening routine; like a cosy pair of slippers. Albeit, in this case, a cosy pair of slippers in bright colours, possibly held together by gaffer tape, with safety pins and all sorts of other gubbins attached.

I didn't blog about the wonderful innovation that was Friday Night Is Music Night in my previous post but, for me, this has been a strong highlight of the series run. Even threatening to overshadow the legendary Celebrity Soup Of The Day. Essentially it involved Harry The Piano taking up residence in the studio on Friday evenings with an assortment of singing and non singing guests, being challenged to recreate popular songs or pieces of music in an entirely different style. Toyah singing metal was a highlight, as was last nights suggestion of "'I Got Rhythm' in the style of someone who don't".

Some of my favourite moments across the 20 episodes would include, in no particular order:

  • The jingle for the 'Higher, Lower' game.
  • Samira Ahmed's spirited and geeky defence of the Cliff Richard film The Young Ones during Culture Wars.
  • The night when someone won Dolly Parton on Celebrity Soup Of The Day (with, I think, Potato And Leek)
  • The night when Jake, in his nonagenarian persona Dora Dale, was himself won by a contestant on Celebrity Soup Of The Day.
  • Jake's final night jingle for producer Laura Grimshaw
  • Toyah Willcox being quietly bemused by the premise of Celebrity Soup Of The Day
  • Anton Du Bec phoning in to the show, after having being won on Celebrity Soup Of The Day, to talk about life with his new owner.
  • The entire run of Where To Mate?, which I hadn't encountered before.
  • Susie Blake's continuity announcement for Love Island.
  • The Boring Talks episode about Model Villages
  • Terry Wogan the show cat
  • The Eastenders theme in the style of Beethoven
I've had a look at what's on between 7pm and 10pm Monday-Friday next week on Radio 4Extra and I must confess to a strong sense of disappointment. Mainly because it all seems so, well, random... and I haven't quite re-adjusted to the loss of the Crime and Thrillers slot yet.

February can be the cruellest of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment