Monday 7 May 2018

New F-Word music playlist now up!

The latest F-Word music playlist is now up on the site!

As I hand the music section back to Jo Whitehead in July, this will (probably?) be my last music playlist for the site.

As such, I had intended to go out with a bit of a bang, playlist wise, and didn't really have any other ideas or themes aside from that. Oh, apart from a thought that festival season is nearly upon us and, as such, maybe it would be nice to include that cover version of Joni Mitchell's 'Woodstock'.

Then, as I was working away putting the tracks together in Spotify (the Miya Folick version of 'Woodstock' did make the grade, you may or may not be interested to know), I realised that, quite unconsciously, a theme had developed.

It was all about youth and being young.

As I say in my post over on the site:

I've tried to include songs by artists at, or near, the start of their careers as this felt like a good way of getting a sense of freshness and, on occasion, rage as well as innovation. I'd been doing this, to an extent, anyway in that I'd been trying out a lot of new songs by new artists, but I also realised that I'd been adding in songs from more established artists from the beginning of their careers, and that this worked well with the new stuff.

I'm really pleased with how it all worked out and, unlike February's playlist, there is a bit more light with the shade this time.

You can read the blog post, and listen to the playlist, on the F-Word website.

Endings are as important as beginnings with playlists and, quite early on, I knew two things:

1) I wanted to make a feature of/draw attention to Let's Eat Grandma and their excellent track 'Falling Into Me' because it felt like the most exciting thing I'd heard in ages.

2) I wanted to finish with Florence + The Machine's 'Dog Days Are Over' because it would be a good way to get a big finish and, besides, reflected the position of the song in their live set (if you discount the encores that is).

Not sure if 'Dog Days Are Over' will remain in the same place, set wise, as F+TM head out for their live dates this year, but I can't imagine them not playing it.

For an example of the joy that is 'Dog Days...' live, check out this clip from Bonneroo in 2011:



The Sunday's track was originally going to be 'Here's Where The Story Ends', for a similar sense of closure, but it didn't work as well as I expected so it got switched for my favourite Sundays song 'Can't Be Sure' instead.

Let's Eat Grandma are also out on the road this summer, and are playing some festivals. There isn't a video for 'Falling Into Me' but the video for 'It's Not Just Me' is out now and I have been enjoying their video for 'Sax In The City' recently.





No comments:

Post a Comment