Saturday 9 September 2017

Pink Milk return, with 'Awakening of Laura'

My favourite Scandi goth pop band are back!

For the uninitiated, I am referring to the excellent Pink Milk, aka Maria (vocals and drums) and Edward (guitar and bass), who I first became aware of last year when they released the glacially elegant but ferociously unyielding 'Detroit'. At the time, I likened it to "being engulfed in icy wind and rain, but in a good way", a sentiment I would still stand by. There followed the mighty 'Drömmens skepp’ (Ship Of A Dream)', a track that was commissioned for use on Swedish TV but wasn't used because it was just too unnerving. I've also just now discovered, via the bands Soundcloud, a frankly terrifying rendition of Foreigner's 'I wanna know what love is', which removes every ounce of saccharine sentimentality from the original and drives it screaming past Twin Peaks, Jesus And Marychain and My Bloody Valentine's territory into a sonic abyss from which it emerges ravished and wild eyed, like a Swedish Bang Bang Machine being fronted by Siouxsie Sioux.

'Awakening of Laura', the new single, sounds lighter and sparser in tone, but equally beautiful. It still has that icy brooding quality to it, but there is light amongst the dark, more Cocteau Twins than Banshees. It was inspired by the 1894 ballet The Awakening of Flora, and it heads up the bands debut album, Purple, which is out this autumn.

I am really looking forward to hearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment