Wednesday 14 December 2022

Songs of the year, Number 11: Lucky Iris - [i'm not good at writing] love songs


A particularly irresistible ear worm courtesy of the Leeds synth pop duo, who describe themselves on their Facebook profile as making "Passive aggressive pop bops for the faint hearted". They also have a good line in charmingly self depreciating tweets.

'[I'm not good at writing] love songs' maintains the bands refreshingly candid lyrics but marries them to a strong hook and memorable chorus, guaranteeing that the resulting track will be stuck in your head for days. 

"How does one go through so much pain? Cos I'm not used to it" singer Maeve tentatively asks, adding later "Give me a break, I think I need it. I'm hard enough on myself - I don't need any feedback".

If Portland's electro dream pop band Wild Ones were still going, I'd be fantasising about a joint tour. As it is, Lucky Iris are slowly but surely building up their repertoire and their following and I look forward to whatever they decide to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment